Maxi-Pedia Forum

Schengen Visa => Schengen Visa Q&A => Topic started by: Nowwhatitaly? on February 04, 2017, 05:17:47 pm

Title: Overstay
Post by: Nowwhatitaly? on February 04, 2017, 05:17:47 pm
Hi there, I am a Canadian Citizen and arrived in Italy on Oct 1. I had an injury where I fell on my ribs and couldn't do anything for about a month and a half. I have X rays and Prescriptions from the doctor. I actually thought I could stay for six months and just realized it's 90 days... no one told me upon my arrival. So I have been here a month and some days longer. I am not sure what will happen but I would like to return in a couple of weeks. Also, I reunited with my ex here and he is getting a letter from the center he volunteers for, he is also a Canadian but retired here and has a lease for an apartment and his Code Di Fiscale. I just don't want to go and then have to wait... he also has a terminal illness. I hope it's clear. What is the best thing to do?

Title: Re: Overstay
Post by: danisara on February 10, 2017, 05:43:36 pm
Hi, you have two viable options. In case you want to stay here just for a temporary period of time, you might want to apply for an extension to your visa due to health issues that prevented you from leaving Italy in time. You will need to get some stamps and letters from doctors for this. You can read more about Schengen visa extension here, I just replied about the same topic to someone else:

Schengen visa extension (

In case you expect to stay in Italy for a relatively long time, you might be eligible for a permanent residence status (taking care of your relative - I am assuming he or she already has some legal long-term presence status).