Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

March 28, 2024, 07:19:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
Topic: 

How do I start internet forum?

(Read 12274 times)
yaris

« on: November 28, 2008, 01:58:06 pm »

Hi,

I am starting a new discussion forum and so sad with my forum, so I wanted to ask you, how do you start a forum? I mean not making it work from the sw perspecitive, but how do you attract people? I have been running my forum for a month now, and I still do not have any new members or any new posts. How do you do it? It really drives me crazy when I am not getting any posts.

yaris
Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: November 28, 2008, 01:58:06 pm »

atari

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:07:20 pm »

From what I can see, most forum owners will give up after about 6 to 8 months.  You can see some guys telling your that they have got 100 users at the end of their first month. That is a BS. Unless you have some serious advertising, it will take at least a year to start building some traffic. Building a forum is a lot of work.

Most newbies in this business think that you can just set up a forum and the traffic is going to come by itself. Only a very small fraction of forums that start are still open after 1 year. It takes patience and a lot of hard work to start a forum. Keep on going!
steven

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:36:32 pm »

...how do you start a forum? I mean not making it work from the sw perspecitive, but how do you attract people? I have been running my forum for a month now, and I still do not have any new members or any new posts. How do you do it? It really drives me crazy when I am not getting any posts.

Whether you can build your forum into an empire depends on a many of things:

a) Targeted market - is your nitch already flooded with 100 other forums on exactly the same topic?
b) Search engine optimization (SEO) - is your forum SEO optimized, can people find you? (meta description and keyword placement)
c) Advertising - how do you attract traffic, how do people find you besides search engines?
d) Colors and layout - is your forum nicely designed to be used easily?
e) Functionality - does your forum really work? Do your pages load fast enough? If you require email to activate account, does the process really work?
f) Backlinks - do people link back to you?
g) and many other things. 

To build a forum, you need more than just to build one and wait for the traffic to come. Building a forum takes hard work, dedication, determination, and knowledge.  Knowledge is the key factor. Anyone can set up a forum, but it takes knowledge to promote that forum, and it takes knowledge to promote it to a targeted nitch.

Good luck with your efforts!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:40:12 pm by steven » Logged
Pansophic

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:04:29 am »

yeah ....it is true that u will need  patience and a lot of hard work ....so keep going Smiley
one of my frnd has a forum which was inactive upto 6 months when it was newly made but right now it is very much active Smiley
martinsherman
Semi-Newbie

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:45 am »

As for time? It depends on how successful you want it to be. If you want any time off, you will need to have people on your staff who will watch the place for you. I tell people to seriously consider the end of weekends, holidays and vacations as they once knew them. Wherever I go, the forums go too
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:20:45 pm by martinsherman » Logged
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0s, 0q)