Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

November 29, 2020, 11:03:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]

French Type D visa moving to Switzerland

 (Read 1266 times)
Posts: 1

« on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:34 pm »

Hi everyone,


I'm a Canadian student living in France on a type D (long-stay French Visa), which allows me multiple entries and is valid until the end of December.

My partner (un-married) lives in Switzerland on a type B (student visa)

As my studies are coming to an end, I would like to join my partner in Switzerland. We both hope to stay in the country and ideally find work.


(1) Can anyone give me advice on the best/most efficient way to secure a residency permit for Switzerland?

(2) Does my long-stay French Visa allow me to reside in Switzerland for up to 90 days (or possibly longer)?

(3) Are the below a realistic approach to securing a residency permit?
           *Family reunification visa (Registered partnership/Concubine) - not sure how to prove registered partnership
           * Student visa (long-stay) - travel to Switzerland on my current visa and register/apply for school and permit once i'm in the country

Thank you in advance!

Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:34 pm »

Jr. Member
Posts: 94

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:07:28 pm »

Switzerland, which belongs neither to the European Union nor to the European Economic Area, is not a part of the Schengen system, however, they have been cooperating with the Schengen zone and began implementing Schengen rules on December 12, 2008. Stays of Canadian nationals up to 90 days within a six-month period do not require authorisation. For longer stays, visitors have to register with the local (cantonal) migration authority at the place of your desired residence as a non-employed person. Here is a list of them:


The corresponding EU/EFTA residence permit remains valid for a period of five years (for students, the permit remains valid for the duration of education and training or remains valid for one year and is renewed at one-year intervals). I'd suggest to travel to Switzerland while your French visa is valid and apply for a residence permit once there.
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 50 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0s, 0q)