Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

March 19, 2024, 08:26:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
Topic: 

How to negotiate salary?

(Read 15969 times)
indian
Semi-Newbie

« on: December 07, 2008, 11:41:50 am »

I have an interview next week, it will be the second round. When I had the first round with HR, they asked me how much money I expect from the job. I was able to manage the situation by not providing any number. But I do not know how to reply when they ask in the second round. So, I ask how to negotiate salary at an interview. Can anyone help with this?
Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:41:50 am »

atari

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:41:23 pm »

I have an interview next week, it will be the second round. When I had the first round with HR, they asked me how much money I expect from the job. I was able to manage the situation by not providing any number. But I do not know how to reply when they ask in the second round. So, I ask how to negotiate salary at an interview. Can anyone help with this?

It is always important to answer in a way that you do not have to disclose your salary requirements. The one who provides the number first looses the negotiation. Well, your options are limited in the final round, true, but here are a few ideas:

- You can say that salary is very important, but you are trully interested in what you will do, so salary is not the primaty factor in your decision making.

- Next, you can say you like the job and you are ready to accept a reasonable offer. You do not see any reason to not accept.

- You can openly ask them to delay the salary question till both sides are decided about the right fit.

- If they really push, you can say you do not want to discriminate your self and eliminate yourself from consideration because of some number.

Good luck.
sunset
Semi-Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:36:52 am »

Here are a few basic rules:

Never discuss salary until you are offered the job. If they ask you about your salary requirements, politely sidestep any salary questions (you can say it is negotiable, open, or competitive) until you are confident they want to hire you. Then you have the leverage. Leverage is the important word here.

When you are asked point-blank about salary, you can counter by asking about the range.

When discussing salary, let the employer talk first. (If you talk first, you run the risk of naming a price that is much lower than you deserve.)

If you are forced to provide your salary requirements, never say a figure, it is better to say a range.
Pansophic

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:25:36 pm »

jst say them that u  have an interest in this job more than all jobs u got earlier ....and u would do it with ur heart but u would need a gud amount of money ( bt do not disclose the amount)
josie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:59:53 am »

Here are a few basic rules:

Never discuss salary until you are offered the job. If they ask you about your salary requirements, politely sidestep any salary questions (you can say it is negotiable, open, or competitive) until you are confident they want to hire you. Then you have the leverage. Leverage is the important word here.

When you are asked point-blank about salary, you can counter by asking about the range.

When discussing salary, let the employer talk first. (If you talk first, you run the risk of naming a price that is much lower than you deserve.)

If you are forced to provide your salary requirements, never say a figure, it is better to say a range.

Great advice! Really thanks a lot. I'm gonna apply for a new job next week so it's definitely helpful.
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.001s, 0q)