Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
Topic: 

Run in Start menu missing

(Read 12414 times)
nolosoft
Semi-Newbie

« on: December 08, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »

Hi,
My Run command in my Start menu suddenly disappeared. I haven't done anything with my computer, it just went away. How can I enable the Run command again?
Thankz.
Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »

atari

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:38 pm »

You probably got hit by a new malware. Go to Start menu, click Run, type msconfig, and hit Enter. Go to the Startup tab. Can you see svchost.exe there? If yes, you got malware. If yes, get new updates for your antivirus and scan your computer.
nolosoft
Semi-Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:53 pm »

Yeah, that is it. I found those files, but my AV does not detect it. I have virus definitions current, and the virus is still there. What do I do now?
SamGoody

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:46:21 pm »

Rejzor from the Opera team has a tool that should bring things back again:
While I am not allowed to post links (I registered just to respond) change the below to a link:
my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/new-useful-tools-available

The download link is on the side - Infiltration Recovery Tool. I linked to the page with a description of the tool.

You can do it manually, a a Google search for "restore run command" brings up many results such as this one:
addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-restore-the-run-command-in-windows-vista-or-windows-xp/

Also, about.com had a registry file that cleaned things up chick-chak - I don't see it right now, but if you can't find it post back and I can search.

Good luck.
nolosoft
Semi-Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:56 pm »

The Rejzor thing did not work for me. I think it probably is not about the start run command being gone but more likely about the svchost virus that kills it every time?
atari

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:57:26 pm »

Ok, here is what you need to do. Boot in safe mode. Delete the svchost.exe file from your profile folder (do not delete it from the Windows dir).

This is to give you the Run command in the Start menu back. Open registry editor by creating and then clicking a reg.bat file at your desktop which includes just one word "regedit" (create in Notepad). Then navigate to

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoRun
Value: 1
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0s, 0q)