Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

March 28, 2024, 01:30:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
Topic: 

Deduction for business use of my home

(Read 9077 times)
GildaPrice
Semi-Newbie

« on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »

I am running business in my basement, how do I calculate the deduction for electricity? Can I deduct the whole electric bill?
Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »

steven

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:33 am »

No, you can only deduct the portion that applies to your business, and you also need to consider that some portion of your electric bill is for other consumption than light, for example loundry, etc.

You take your bill figure, and subtract the portion of your electric consumption that is for laundry, dishwasher, and other consumption that does not relate to your business. This is "usually" around 5/8 of the bill (your situation may be different, do the math). The remaining 3/8 is light and other consumption that is reasonable for determining the consumption for your business. In the next step, you multiply this figure by the percentage of the area of your home that you use for business.

Example: Your electic bill is 100, and you use 50% of your home for business. Your electric bill that you can deduct for business use of your home is 100 * 3/8 * 50% = 18,75. This is the deduction for lighting, perform a similar logic for hearing and airconditioning.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:42:36 pm by steven » Logged
GildaPrice
Semi-Newbie

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:27 am »

This is awesome help, thanks very much!
steven

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:56 pm »

You are welcome. For more details about how to calculate the deduction for business use of your home, see form 8829 instructions, page 2, right column, paragraph titled "Exception".
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0s, 0q)