Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

April 18, 2024, 06:31:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
Topic: 

Does Schengen visa application have to be translated to Portuguese?

(Read 7308 times)
jerryabrams

« on: April 17, 2011, 02:27:59 pm »

I read somewhere that when applying for a visa to visit Portugal, that the "documents" have to be translated into Portuguese. Is that still true since the visa is now the Schengen Visa? If so, do I have to include the English version and the translated version? Does the translated version have to be authenicated or certified as a correct translation? I can't find much information about the requirements on the Internet and there is no website for the Portuguese Embassy in my country. I have been trying to call them, but no luck yet. Any information appreciated.
Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:27:59 pm »

danisara

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:06:11 am »

What documents do you have in your mind, and which country are you at?
jerryabrams

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:02:57 pm »

That's what I don't know: it's difficult to find out exactly which documents are required. So far, it looks like a Short Stay visa application, bank records, letter of invitation, statement of purpose and duration, maybe others. All will be in English, so for example do I have to get my bank records translated? Or, nowadays, do any documents have to be translated from English? I've read some web sites that say documents have to be in English or Portuguese. It's confusing. I've been trying to call the Embassy, but no one answers the phone. No answer to email either.
danisara

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:40 am »

This is a bit unusual question, and I think I still do not have all the necessary information. I am asking about at which country you are applying because it might make a difference. Since your English is very good, and you mention you will have all the documentation (bank statements) in English, it leads me to thinking you are from the US, UK, Canada, or Australia. I haven't heard that embassies of Portugal would require the documentation to be translated into Portugese. Since the documentation is in English, and the application is being submitted in a country where English is the official language, they would not even have the right to refuse the visa on the basis of not being translated into an unofficial language. And if you are a US, UK, Canada, or Australia citizen, then you do not need visa for short stays. So, it does not go together. And, in case you are in some non-English country, the situation can be different.
jerryabrams

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:15:19 am »

What's so unusual? I'm asking for another person. All I'm asking is if anything has to be translated into Portuguese in this day and age. From what you say, I guess not, although I did read this fact somewhere. This person requires a Type C visa, and can fill it out in English. The Portuguese are not answering the phone or email. I guess my friend will find out after traveling 800km to the embassy. It would just be nice to know ahead of time. Thanks for your reply.
danisara

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:28:51 pm »

Ya, it is hard to guess these things as many things often depend on the practice of the particular embassy (and on the "judgement" of a particular clerk). In any case, the point is, if English is the official language in the country where you submit the application, and all the supporting documentation is also in English, the embassy should not be asking for official translations. You won't loose anything by having at least your own (unofficial) translations ready, just to be on the safe side and lower the risks of being refused.
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 22 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0s, 0q)