Welcome to Maxi-Pedia Forum. Maxi-Pedia discussion forum is a free community inviting you to express your ideas and discuss various topics with other contributors.

March 28, 2024, 07:30:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Most Recent Posts:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
Topic: 

Obama and defence radar system in Europe

(Read 10701 times)
mismas

« on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:53 pm »

One thing that worries me about Obama being the new president. I think it will have impact on the USA-rest_of_the_world relationship and therefore on the economy too.

I was thinking that Obama will be oposite to the dumb Bush and cease all war activities. But the first thing Osama did was to call the Polish president to assure him that USA will continue in pursuing the defence radar system in Europe. I think that was stupid.

What do you think?
Maxi-Pedia Forum
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:53 pm »

atari

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

I think it was just a diplomatic maneuver, take a look at it this way. Obama as the new president has to make some statement in regards to the distribution of the global political forces. Calling Kaczynski the day after his election was not to solidify the defence radar project (to make Polish people happy), but to send a message to Medvedev that "Yes, I am Obama, and I will stand behind USA as the global superpower - you will not get more power in Europe just because Bush is leaving"

Obama has many troubles on his table, the US economy being the biggest one. If he goes with the Tax Stimulus Rebate and other programs, he will have to cut some spending somewhere - Iraq will be the first place, the radar system may be the next project that will be freezed.
sunset
Semi-Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »

I was thinking that Obama will be oposite to the dumb Bush and cease all war activities. But the first thing Osama did was to call the Polish president to assure him that USA will continue in pursuing the defence radar system in Europe. I think that was stupid.

There has been some misinterpretation of the conversation between Kaczynski and Obama. Here is a few lines from the news:

Code:
Washington Post
Poland Won't Lobby Obama on Missile Defense
Thursday, November 20, 2008; A18
Sikorski's remarks, made during an appearance at the Atlantic Council of the United States, a bipartisan foreign
policy organization, reflect the modification of a statement posted Nov. 8 on the Web site of Polish President Lech
Kaczynski. The statement said that during Kaczynski's conversation congratulating Barack Obama, the president-elect
said that "the missile defense project would continue."

In response, the Obama campaign released a statement saying that no commitment had been made. Instead, Obama
foreign policy adviser Denis McDonough said, Obama "supports deploying a missile defense system when the technology
is proved to be workable."

Congress has delayed work on construction of the Polish missile site, awaiting in part the successful testing of the
interceptor missile to be based there. That test is not scheduled to take place until 2010.
jeanierga

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:58:08 am »

Obama will be pursuing war activities, but it is in regards of the economic critics. I believe there's nothing to worry about the leadership of the new US. President,he will reside in all economic and political issues as well as the pursuance of war against the other country.  About the defense radar system in Europe, it was still in the assurance of Obama.
mismas

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 02:21:15 pm »

To be honest, I am disappointed with Obama. True, the radar in Europe has been cancelled (due to crisis and lack of money, thanks god), but I had thought the war in Afghanistan and Iraq would end sooner. Why the heck does USA need to send more troops to Afgranistan?
Maxi-Pedia Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0s, 0q)